Sunday 6 July 2008

Monday morning photo. 28/7/07.





----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Sewell" <kevin.sewell@bigpond.com>
To: <Thingswithwheels@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:50 PM
Subject: RE: [Thingswithwheels] Monday morning photo.


>
> <Kevin, this is a match made in heaven, I can't find my Western
> <Division WTT
> <but, guess what, I have found my 1960 [from 20th November]
> <Southern Division
> <WTT and No.6 is indeed the up Temora Mail at Harden 9.00-9.15pm Monday,
> <Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, dunno why the 15 minute stop, no
> <Refresh at
> <Harden and surely Engine Requirements would have been attended to at
> <Demondrille just 3 1/2 miles before Harden where 5 minutes was
> <allowed. The
> <weather is pretty brisk here in Melbourne. I wouldn't mind
> <spending tonight
> <aboard tonight's No.6, steam heated and a 38 on the front.
> <
> <Rick, I must say I agree wth you, reading this stuff certainly knocks
> <meditation into a cocked hat. So glad you liked my photo of my model of
> <Carcoar, realistic, ain't it? Smartarse.
> <
> <Can't recall if Swan Ponds actually had a South Box!
>
>
>
>
> Further to my scepticism about the existence of Swan Ponds South and North
> Boxes, I bow to the vastly superior knowledge (and research resources) of
> my
> colleagues who have supplied the following information:-
>
> So far as Swan Ponds is concerned (located between Lyndhurst and Woodstock
> on the Blayney-Cowra line, Circular 240-50 of 1941 tells us that: "On
> Tuesday 22nd July 1941 ... Down and Up Main line working will be dispensed
> with, and Swan Ponds will be converted to an Automatic Crossing Loop...."
> The instructions describe the operation of a "North Signal Box" and a
> "South
> Signal Box" - the fireman being required to operate the Box at the
> appropriate end of the loop/main line to enter/depart.
>
> It was a standard arrangement for a particular period of automatic
> crossing
> loop design. Other examples well within recent memory are Ben Bullen,
> Excelsior and Brogans Creek.
>
> Gee its nice to be able to ask questions of people who were actually there
> instead of having just read about it (like me)!!


It's pretty nice for me too Kevin, it's a long time since I took these
pictures and when it comes to the old NSWGR I know I'll always get an
interesting and detailed response from you. You would definitely be right
about the longish stop at Harden for no.6 but waiting for an hour for the
connection wouldn't be too bad because there 'd be a fire in the Waiting
Room and I can't imagine that an hour would pass wiyhout trains. Harden is
not listed as a Refreshment station and I can't remember if there were shops
close by so one might have to wait for the 17 minute stop at Goulburn for a
cuppa and a slice of fruitcake. I'd forgotten too about the lack of steam
heat but that was probably because I always had the window open anyway, you
generally got a compartment to yourself that way too and the wide wooden
luggage racks in the FS cars made a comfortable bunk if you got sleepy. The
great thing about New South was that a lot of engine crews were very
friendly and welcomed you on the footplate and I did get the odd go at
firing a 38.

Keep up the flow of information, save me from meditation. Attached, out west
somewhere and from the van, a Pig on a very typical goods train of the time.
It's funny how sometimes the least technically accomplished photos work the
best.

Regards,

Peter Bruce.

No comments: