Sunday 6 July 2008

Monday Morning Photo. 16/4/08.



Good mornin' all, as penance for not promptly posting a picture on Monday morning I am going to force myself to post several this week, all of the same subject.

Viz. Whyalla No.4......... I dunno how long it had been since this engine had ventured out on BHP's main line but it was still useful in early 1963, it had a tender full of coal. Built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in the U.S.A in 1914 to bring iron ore down from the Middleback Range to Whyalla it was superseded pretty quickly by bigger Baldwin 2-8-2s. By the time I got there in 1963 the big engines had been replaced by GM diesels and cut up and made into Toyotas but this little jigger was still steamable.

No apologies for the size of this image. Resize to suit. One of the recipients of these postings, I sure he knows who he is, told me that he had only ever thought of steam locomotives as being lovingly polished and preened. They were seldom like that in their everyday existence and this is a bit like being close up.

A couple more to come.

Best regards,

Peter Bruce.


__._,_.___


__,_._,___

No comments: