Sunday 6 July 2008

Last Monday Morning's Photo. 23/2/08.


G'day all, Ningana, Thursday, 10th of January 1963 and 180 is facing directly into the late afternoon sun. The fortnightly goods to Mount Hope has set out that tarped wagon in two road and the cattle truck now contains a huge pig, that may be the pig's owner walking away from the camera......or maybe it's the guard.

Last week I miscounted and made it the 11th of Jan. But I'm fairly confident that I've got it right this time.

When I refurned home from the Eyre Peninsula I wrote a short account of the trip, I'll dig it out and post it in the next week or so. It's no literary masterpiece, the opposite in fact, but some of you might find it interesting.

Anyone who has read "Peninsula Pioneer" will have seen Graeme Westwood's almost identical photo in glorious Agfa colour.

Apologies for the lateness of this posting but as I said I was unsure of the location.

As an aside I have just ordered a copy of "Ketch Hand" by Ron Thiele. The wheat that didn't come out of the Peninsula by rail came out aboard a small fleet of ketches that traded out of Port Adelaide until about 1962 or so and Ron has written of his time aboard these little ships.

Regards to all,

Peter Bruce.

No comments: