Sunday 6 July 2008

Monday Morning Photo. 1/10/07.



G'day all, no requests to be dropped off this mailing list yet but one suggestion for an inclusion, welcome Greg Dixon and thanks to Bob Lawrence for the suggestion.

I was lucky enough to be witness to the last days of all steam working west of Lithgow on the New South Wales Government Railways, Bob Murphy, who had the good fortune to see the tail end of steam on the Southern Pacific, tells me that he is amazed at the survival of the 1920s NSWGR well into the 1960s. I must say I revelled in it after my sheltered upbringing in Victoria, there were more steam hauled trains than you could poke a stick at, the traffic was constant and there was unceasing activity in yards like Bathurst.

Bathurst Loco was a 19th century running shed, dim, dirty and gritty. There were plenty like it too. I still can't believe my luck, I saw the last stand of the main line steam age in Australia. My thanks are due to those mostly older enthusiasts who pointed me in the right direction. Chris Rodakis comes to mind.

Regards to all,

Peter Bruce.

No comments: