Saturday 11 April 2009

Monday Morning Photo. 6/4/09. Part 3.



This is about it for the Peterborough Division, hope I havn't overdone it. I was 18 going on 19 and in the words of Cliff Olds "I wouldn't have missed it for quids". In case anyone is mystified by the old Australian argot we might say today that "I wouldn't have missed it for bucks". Doesn't work though, does it?

A quid was a pound in the old pre 1966 money and the new dollar unit was equal to half-a-quid or ten bob. Ten bob as slang for a dollar hung on tenuously for a while but eventually succumbed to the mighty buck. Bob Menzies was our Prime Minister and our dollar would have been the "Royal" if he'd had his way. We must have been incipient republicans even back then because that little bit of forelock tugging got laughed into oblivion. Deservedly.

I've tried to pass on a bit of the feel and atmosphere of Peterborough in the early '60s.

I look back and I realise how lucky I was. Dinosaurs still walked the Earth and I saw them.

The Illawarra next.

Best regards to all,

Peter Bruce.

No comments: