Monday 29 November 2010

Monday Morning Photo. 29/11/2010.



G'day all, I'm not too clear about the location of the various sugar mills around Bundaberg or about the distinction between the Bingera and Watawa Mills other than knowing that somehow or other there was a connection. Perhaps someone can put me right. I'm pleased that No.6 makes another appearance in the background of the shot of the ex QGR B13 because it has occurred to me that it made it's first appearance on Queensland rails just 41 years after Stephenson's "Rocket" first hauled passengers on a public railway, the Stockton&Darlington in the north of England. To put that into some sort of perspective I took these photos nearly 50 years ago, No.6 was born about the same time as my paternal grandfather. That thought brings home to me how rapidly the world was changed by industrialization and the self propelled vehicle on its ever extending rails, each of course dependent on the other.
Getting back to the photos, I think all three of the little cane locos are Bundaberg Fowlers, that is built by the Bundaberg Foundry Company under licence to John Fowler&Co of Leeds in the U.K, but again I am open to correction. My knowledge of the sugar cane lines was pretty sketchy to begin with and it has been mostly deleted in the intervening years.
Regards,
Peter Bruce.



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.872 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3286 - Release Date: 11/29/10 06:34:00

1 comment:

John Browning said...

Hello Peter
The first two photos look like they were taken at Millaquin Mill in Bundaberg. The loco with the lower-slung tanks is a Perry and the other is a Bundaberg Fowler. It is also a Bundaberg Fowler in the third photo - at Bingera Mill.